Last month I drove down to San Diego for the A4D Performance Summit.
It was awesome. Hundreds of advertisers, affiliates and entrepreneurs showed up and watched epic presentations from some some of the smartest and most successful affiliate marketers of all time. They even let me get up there and speak too 😉
I love going to events like this. I’ve worked online for a decade and I’ve made some great friends. But because we’re spread out all over the world – I only get to see them once or twice a year.
We can all get together at a conference and spend a few days swapping ideas, eating food and hanging out like regular people.
These personal meetings are also where some of the most incredible secrets, tips and tricks are shared. If you’re not there… you really miss out.
I don’t know if you know this or not – but I’ve known Charles Ngo for 8–9 years. Most people think we met because we’re both affiliate bloggers, but the truth is – we met on Skype somewhere around 2009.
We were competing against each other for ad space back then and someone (I can’t remember who) connected us via Skype so we could talk.
Neither of us knew we’d be blogging about our experiences later – we were just two guys cranking away, riding the wave and living the dream.
I only see Charles once or twice a year – so this time, before the conference happened he got a hold of me and we planned an interview. We thought it’d be fun to do a collab and share it with you guys that read our blogs.
So in the middle of the conference, we ran off to his room with a few friends and did a quick interview.
There was no preparation or planning. I had no idea what he was going to ask. It was totally impromptu and live.
Charles shared the video on his Youtube channel a few days ago, and I thought I’d share it here.
A few clarifications:
Right when the video came out I started getting questions. Here are a few of the common ones and my answers for each.
- Do you really only work 2-4 hours a day? These days, yes. I do 2-4 hours of hardcore work in the morning and then the rest of the day is pretty loose. In the beginning? HELL no. I worked 10-18 hours a day for the first few years. If you’re new – you should be doing that too. You can find balance later.
- How did you stay motivated after having such a rough year as an advertiser? I didn’t need motivation, I knew I could return to traditional affiliate marketing. I didn’t even get upset when it fell apart. I laughed, took a few weeks off and then moved on with my life.
- Why did you get so excited making $27 after 4 months of work? Because it proved to me that making sales online was real. It could have been 10 cents. The dollar amount didn’t matter at all. It was just proof that this could happen. That was incredibly exciting and kept me going forward.
- What is the bee video you reference? Here you go.
- When is MadSociety launching to the public? Not sure. It’s open now, but isn’t being advertised. We’re currently filling it with epic threads, follow alongs and tutorials. It’s live now though for my blog readers and you can sign up at MadSociety.net.
- Is MadSociety free? No, it’s $99/month. We had an introductory price of $67/mo in the beginning but that promo is over.
That’s it. Enjoy the video and let me know if you have any questions. Just post them in the comment box below and I’ll try to answer them.
For more info about Charles Ngo, click here to check out his blog.