Monthly Reports is a series where I share site stats and results from the previous month. I’ll also talk about where things are going in the future.
March has flown by and was a great month for the site. Traffic went up thanks to a few popular posts, one of which almost became the most popular post ever.
The design of the site changed slightly. I’m taking away things watching what happens. So far, the more I remove the better the results I get. More on that below.
Let’s get into the details.
This is the 10th post in March, a new record for number of posts. Also this is the first time I’ve ever posted twice in one day. I think the monthly report should come on the last day of the month. Makes more sense to me.
There were two most popular posts this month
- 20 Pieces of Advice For The New Affiliate Marketer
- Great Affiliates Don’t Steal Upworthy Headlines (They Do This Instead).
Both received thousands of views, a healthy dose of comments and some shares by industry sites.
In March everything I posted got more traffic than posts in February, so things are picking up.
I reduced more clutter from the site this month. Most notably, I removed almost everything in the right-side bar.
Things I removed:
- WP Popular posts widget
- Facebook Group Like Box
- Other social profile links
When I removed the most popular posts from the right sidebar I expected my bounce rate to go up. Oddly enough, the pageviews per visit and time on site went up and bounce rate went down. It doesn’t make any sense, but that’s what happened.
Website and Newsletter Stats
March traffic definitely went up. As you can see, the post 20 Pieces of Advice For The New Affiliate Marketer hit numbers that almost beat How To Make $482,300 This Year By Focusing on $50 a Week , which I didn’t think was going to be possible. (it’s the big spike in mid-March)
Here’s are the top 10 referrers. Facebook is still king and apparently someone posted a link to something on the Stackthatmoney forum, because I’ve been picking up clicks from there. Whoever did that, thanks.
I’ve decided to automate the email newsletter. I’ve been writing each email manually every time a new post goes out and it just takes too much time. I setup an automatic RSS feed campaign in Mailchimp to run at 2pm every day. If there are new posts it will send them out.
If I can get the same open and click rates without having to type each one myself that will free up more of my time for other things. Remember, I also have an affiliate business to run. 😉
Overall the list grew by about 30%. So if you just joined, thank you.
If not – click here to join the newsletter now.
- Still loving the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. I’ve actually started giving all of my paper books away and re-buying anything I want to read again on the Kindle. It’s a game-changer for me.
- Finished reading ‘Getting Results the Agile Way‘. Great book on how to setup your year, month, week and day for success. The biggest thing I’m taking away from it is to pre-plan outcomes each day. Each night I pick 3 things to do the next day and then check them off. Doing this allowed me to take care of some important out-of-the-house business tasks I’ve been needing to do for months. Really happy with the result so far.
- Campaigns are steadily growing
- I added a new campaign to the mix this month that is adding nicely to the bottom line. Still on track to hit my goal for the year. (private)
In April my plan is to stick with two posts a week. Monday and Friday are my target days. I keep refining my writing process to make things faster. When I first launched the site posts would take me days to write. Some as many as 9 hours. I have it down to about 3 hours now, which is much more realistic for me long term.
I’ve also deconstructed my desk from a giant-monitored, cluttered mess to only a laptop. I took everything away including cables, power chords, the mouse, the keyboard, etc. and am adding things one at a time as i need them. I’ll probably do a series on that. It’s really interesting.
As always, thanks for coming the site every week. If you have any comments, questions or feedback feel free to leave a comment below.
See you next month,