This morning it is Jan 1st, the first day of the year 2015.
I’m sure many people woke up today thinking things were going to be different somehow. But as you can see, the sun is in the sky and the cars are driving by just like they the day and the year before.
I’m sure many people woke up today preparing to use new products that they think are going to make their lives better and make this the “Best year ever”.
- Exercise bikes and treadmills being setup in bedrooms.
- Juicers are being setup for the new diets
- Bowflex home gyms are being assembled in garages
- Nike running shoes are being put on for that first big run
- Gym bags are being packed for new gym memberships
Top Holiday searches from Yahoo.com for Jan 1st, 2015.
I’ve been keeping an eye on the top New Years Eve search trends. The image above is from today. As you can see, “Vitamix Blenders” and “Bowflex TreadClimbers” are going nuts right now (as well as ‘Quit Smoking’ and ‘Women’s Gym Bag’). Yesterday the most popular term was “Exercise Bikes”.
But the reality is (and history shows) that almost 100% of these new fitness and self improvement products will be heavily used for the month of January, barely touched in February and collecting dust (or for sale on Craigslist) by March.
Why? Because when you buy these kinds of things and expect these amazing results – you’re forgetting one important thing.
You’re still going to be you in 2015.
This Year, Let’s Keep it Real
Most people set unrealistic goals and expectations like some “new version” of themselves is going to appear out of nowhere and get the work done. Then what happens is they start off big, give it all they’ve got, realize they can’t do it and burn out and quit after a few weeks.
So instead of expecting a miracle to happen and for everything to change overnight. Let’s get real. You’re still going to be you this year – so set your goals or resolutions accordingly.
Here are a few popular examples:
- Lose Weight. Instead of running every day and working out 5x per week, trying going to the gym Monday and Friday and never missing. If that goes well, add a day.
- Make Money. Instead of trying to make $1 Million this year online, try to get good at launching campaigns. Figure out how to make $1 first, and then go for $10.
Take some time and come up with something you can sustain throughout the year. Don’t plan for the super-human version of you that you might feel like today… because remember… that person may be gone by February.
Plan for the you that will be here in April or October. The you who gets tired and lazy sometimes. The you who likes watch TV.
That’s the person who needs to be able to do the work.
Nothing magical happened between the time you went to sleep last night and the time you woke up today.
This morning is just a morning like any other.
P.S. I posted a video to my YouTube channel about this as well.
Click here to watch it now.