Right now I’m sitting in an airplane.
I have the entire two seat row to myself (it’s a small plane). When I look to my left I see miles of land, hills and clouds. I just finished two episodes of season four of Suits and a cup of coffee.
And right now, I’m making money.
Let The Machines Do The Work
One of the coolest parts about online marketing is that you can work from anywhere. With a laptop or in some cases, just a smart phone you can be just as effective as you are from your home office.
And in some cases… more.
It’s one of the things you will realize over time. Once you get a system in place, you make more money while you’re out traveling, letting the system work than you do by working every day.
Whether you’re at an industry event, a conference, on vacation or visiting family at Christmas it seems to happen.
The less you monkey around with your work, the more money you’ll make.
It’s just one of many counter-intuitive lessons you learn along the way.
Do Less, Get More.
- Work out less, build more muscle. Most new weight lifters believe that to build muscle fast they need to work out 7 days a week. But in most cases resting between workouts allows muscle to rebuild and grow, giving you faster results over time.
- Eat more food, lose more weight. Most dieters believe that the way to lose weight is to starve themselves. I’ve found that starvation actually puts your body into survival mode and it stops burning fat completely. By eating more, you allow your body to begin burning fat again.
- Do fewer tasks per day, get more done over time. Trying to do too many things at once or too often can lead to burnout. By doing just a few important items from your todo list you can continue making progress for longer periods of time, ultimately getting more done.
- Work less, make more money. Obsessing over campaign progress hour by hour can lead to making bad decisions and incorrect adjustments that can kill a campaign. By setting things up and letting them run, sometimes for several days at a time without interruption you get better data and make better decisions that lead to profitability.
If you’re not seeing results at the gym, having trouble getting a campaign profitable or aren’t getting things done that you need to get done, try doing a little less.
Take a break. Give your project (and yourself) some time to breathe. If you want to try it on your next campaign do this:
- Start a new campaign.
- Set a weekly budget you can afford to lose.
- Check on it 7 days later.
Giving campaigns room to breathe makes them work better. You make better decisions that are made based on real data. It takes discipline but can be very effective in reducing incorrect decisions that are made based on emotion versus smart decisions based on data.
Tip: Before you setup a campaign, do your due diligence to make sure it has a chance to work. Never setup tests without doing your research first.
So What Do You Do?
So now what you’re letting things breathe, you’ll find you have a lot more free time on your hands. What can you do?
- Have a social life.
- Spend the day outside.
- Go see your family.
- Hang out on an island.
- Mow your lawn.
Do anything other than what you think of as “work”.
You may find that the path to getting more accomplished, is doing a little less… And the only thing standing in your way…