I talk to a few of my newsletter subscribers on a regular basis.
I was recently talking with someone who, like many people has been dealing with huge amounts of anxiety for the last few years about not having enough money.
He’s been busting his ass to learn affiliate marketing and with a lot of trial and error and some blunt advice from me, he’s consistently making $1000 profit a day.
He turned things around in a big way and you may be thinking to yourself right now that this guy “has it made”, right?
Well, not really.
Like most of us, he thought that if he could just make enough money, his anxiety would go away. But when he hit $1000/day his anxiety didn’t disappear, it just pivoted, and he started worrying about other things instead.
- He was worried that his campaign was going to die
- He had anxiety about not getting paid by the affiliate network
- He had anxiety about finding an accountant and forming an LLC
- He had anxiety about taxes
He was making $1000/day and had more anxiety than he’d ever had in his life. He successfully chopped the head off of the anxiety monster and another head attacked him from behind.
Money Doesn’t Solve Your Problems
Anyone that has made a bunch of money can tell you, money doesn’t solve all of your problems. This is why it’s frustrating when you hear people say things like “Robin Williams had millions of dollars, he had it made, how DARE he commit suicide!”
What people fail to realize is that money only solves money problems. Everything else stays the same.
When a depressed, anxiety-ridden person makes a bunch of money they’re not fixed. They simply become a depressed, anxiety-ridden person who no longer has to worry about how they’ll pay the electric bill.
If you’re goal in life is to be a multi-millionaire and you think that will solve all of your problems, here are just a few of the anxieties that making money causes that you’re probably not expecting.
- Bookkeeping / Accounting. If you’re like I was, and are used to getting a paycheck every two weeks that already has taxes taken out of it – you’re in for a rude awakening. Managing business finances is a maze for the first few years. You’re going to need to hire a pro to handle your tax filings and bookkeeping.
- Lots Of Taxes. Making a lot of money? Get ready to pay a sh#tload of taxes. Most 9–5 workers don’t feel the real pain of paying taxes because they’re taken out of your paycheck before you get it. But imagine working 20 hours a day for a year and managing to make your first $1 Million and then being told at the end of the year that you have to write a check for $400,000 and give it to the Government.
- “Investment Opportunities”. If you do well be prepared for people to ask you for loans or to invest in their business ideas. You have two options, #1) say yes and risk losing every cent you give them, #2) say no and feel guilty for not helping them out. Either way, you’re screwed.
- Money Management and Asset Protection. You’re also going to need to start thinking about real investments and asset protection. Be prepared for fast-talking financial pros to talk circles around you about why you’re doing everything wrong. It’ll make your head spin.
- “New Friends”. There is a very real bond that is formed between people that have nothing to offer each other. When you make a bunch of money you suddenly become “popular”. 99% of your new friends are looking for a free handout or waiting for a chance to extract as much money from you as they can.
- You Have Time To Deal With Yourself (For Real Now). When you make enough money to quit your job you lose 80% of the distractions in your life. It’s just you – and life. Ever notice how people who make a lot of money get into self-help and meditation? It’s because they’ve realized that money doesn’t fix everything and are forced to seek alternative routes for relief.
Don’t get me wrong. Making a lot of money is definitely not a bad thing. If you’re struggling financially right now you probably have a lot of anxieties that could be solved by a quick influx of cash.
But don’t ever think that making money will make all your problems go away. Money simply shifts your anxieties to other other places that you’ve been too busy to focus on.
The trick is to find happiness wherever you are and be grateful for what you have. Most anxiety comes from not knowing what is going to happen next… and you can never control that, so try not to worry about it so much.
If you’re currently on the path to riches, good luck, but remember to enjoy every moment along the way because…
Millionaires jump out of windows all the time.